Transactions:
TSN Info
TSN Extras
News Summaries from The Sports Network - Tuesday, July 29



NCAA reaches settlement in concussion lawsuit



Indianapolis, IN (SportsNetwork.com) - The NCAA has reached a proposed settlement in its concussion-related class action lawsuits.

The NCAA will provide $70 million for concussion testing and diagnosis of current and former student-athletes as part of the agreement that needs to be approved by Judge John Lee of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.

It also includes educational initiatives and $5 million in concussion research, resolving the 14 pending class actions that were consolidated in a Chicago federal court.

"We have been and will continue to be committed to student-athlete safety, which is one of the NCAA's foundational principles," said NCAA chief medical officer Brian Hainline in a statement Tuesday. "Medical knowledge of concussions will continue to grow, and consensus about diagnosis, treatment and management of concussions by the medical community will continue to evolve. This agreement's proactive measures will ensure student-athletes have access to high quality medical care by physicians with experience in the diagnosis, treatment and management of concussions."

Under the proposed agreement, all current and former NCAA student-athletes in all sports and divisions who competed at an NCAA member school within the past 50 years may qualify for physical examination, neurological measurements and neurocognitive assessments. The agreement covers academic accommodations for student-athletes with concussions, return-to-play guidelines, educational programs, research and plaintiffs' attorney fees.

Bodily injury claims are not part of this settlement.

The NCAA and plaintiffs' attorneys arrived at the $70 million figure by calculating the cost to develop and administer the testing and diagnostic program based on the number of current and former student-athletes, as well as a progressive estimate of medical costs.

Hurricanes' Staal undergoes surgery



Raleigh, NC (SportsNetwork.com) - Carolina Hurricanes center Eric Staal underwent surgery for a core muscle injury he suffered during offseason training and is expected to ready for the start of training camp.

The procedure was performed by Dr. William Meyers in Philadelphia.

"Eric notified us of the injury late last week, and flew to Raleigh and then Philadelphia to be evaluated," said Hurricanes general manager Ron Francis in a statement Tuesday. "By having this procedure now, Dr. Meyers believes Eric will be able to return to action for training camp and be at full health for the start of the regular season."

Staal will enter his 11th NHL season with Carolina and last year notched 21 goals with team bests of 40 assists and 61 points in 79 games. He has 289 goals and 399 assists for 688 points in 769 games.

The 29-year-old Ontario native was selected by the Hurricanes with the second overall pick of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft and was named captain in January 2010. He is a four-time All-Star and helped the Hurricanes to the 2006 Stanley Cup title, also winning Olympic gold with Team Canada at the 2010 Vancouver Games.

Jets bring back Frolik for another year



Winnipeg, MB (SportsNetwork.com) - The Winnipeg Jets have agreed to terms with forward Michael Frolik on a one-year contract worth $3.3 million.

Frolik was acquired by the Jets in a June 2013 trade from Chicago and notched 15 goals with 27 assists for 42 points in 81 games during his first season in Winnipeg.

The 26-year-old Czech native has appeared in 430 games with Florida, Chicago and Winnipeg during his six-year NHL career. He has 76 goals and 117 assists for 193 points.

Frolik, who won a Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks in the spring of 2013, was originally selected by the Panthers with the 10th overall pick of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

07/29 10:13:22 ET